Thursday, October 4, 2007

Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Bisque

This is very similar to a soup that Panera served a couple of years ago. I modified it to take out a can of tomato soup. It is especially good served with toasted cheese sandwiches or cheese and crackers.

28 oz. can Fire Roasted Tomatoes (or two 14.5 oz. cans)
15 oz. jar Roasted Red Peppers, drained
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
2 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 c. cool water
3 c. vegetable broth
1 carrot, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
1 sm. onion, diced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
Dash Tabasco sauce
1/4 - 1/2 c. heavy cream

Saute onion, carrot and celery in oil until tender. Add vegetable broth, tomatoes, and peppers. Simmer about 20 minutes to blend flavors. Puree with hand blender, but leave some chunks if you like. Mix tomato paste, flour and sugar with cool water. Stir into soup and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute (This is an important step to cook the flour!) Season with Tabasco and add cream just before serving.

5 comments:

Mrs said...

I absolutely LOVE soup, but no one else in my family cares for it. They'll eat it, if that's all there is for dinner, but I'm all alone on the leftovers!

DaDaHaZaReJe said...

I love soup too! So, sometime we should get together, feed our families their firm, substantial food and we can eat soup till we pop - or maybe not quite that much. ;-]

DaDaHaZaReJe said...

I have been known to consume this entire recipe myself - not in one sitting of course.

Mrs said...

You know, I was thinking we should make the soup, then freeze it in portions for Annie L and Patty W (and any other single/working/exhausted woman).

What say you?

We could eat until we pop, THEN share the rest!

DaDaHaZaReJe said...

I say 'Let's do it!!' Great idea!